Monday, August 07, 2006

The Lord Giveth...

and we all know the end of that little bon mot.

I went to school yesterday to get work done, a day before I actually had to report. I was rewarded for this hard-work-ingness by the presentation of a check that I had no idea was coming. It was for some travel I did back in May and it was in the amount of $186. That's a nice chunk of change to have fall on you.

Oh ho, says the lord. We can't have that.

I had dropped off my car earlier in the day to have a tire repaired. These were new tires, so with the warrenty, I owed a grand total of $1. I'm not joking. So I handed the man the $1 bill, walked to the car, turned the key and heard "click-click-clickety-clickety". Uh-oh, thinks I. But the nice man at the garage assured me it was simply corrosion on the battery (a battery that's less than a year old, I think, but don't question), jumped the battery and the car started right up. I drove 30 minutes home, turned off the car for, oh, 30 minutes...and again it wouldn't start. That's right, folks, the alternator was fried. To make a long story somewhat shorter, I ended up calling AAA and having them jump the car so that I could drive to the town my school is in and stay with a friend last night. She and I got up this morning, took the car into the shop and headed to work. And now my wallet is $450 lighter. This on a car that is worth maybe $1500. Probably not even that.

Oh well. Easy come, easy go, right? Sigh.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shawnee said...

You know what my aunt Diane says: if it's got tires or testicles, you're going to have problems with it. Wise as well as eloquent, isn't she?

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home