Saturday, September 02, 2006

Join the Rebellion

This weekend, DragonCon is in town. It's (I think) the largest sci-fi/gaming convention in the world. It's certainly the largest in the Southeast. And it's going on now in downtown Atlanta. My friend got a pass for the weekend since he is, ah, shall we say a HUGE Star Wars fan? That might be an understatement. Anyway, I headed downtown today to keep him company for a little bit, and it turns out that the hotels are so crowded with people that they won't let you in even to look around unless you have a DragonCon pass or are staying at the hotel. Can you imagine the poor people that booked rooms there not knowing about this convention? But I digress.

Turns out, all that sneaking around I did in high school paid off. We were stopped going in one entrance, so when we tried another we timed it so that we could slip past security while he was stopping some other poor soul with no pass. So I went in and got to behold the wonder that is DragonCon.

Here's a partial list of what I saw: Superheroes (from classic to obscure), a man dressed as a LEGO person, tons of Storm Troopers and Jedis and several Princess-Leia-in-a-bikinis (several of whom should have SERIOUSLY reconsidered that costume), one really good Lara Croft, Wallace and Grommit, catholic school girls in various states of undress, mother and daughter bondage outfits, pirates, sexy interpretations of all sorts of characters from stories like The Wizard of Oz and Little Red Riding Hood, and many other costumes that were so obscure I had no idea what they referenced.

It was geeky and filled with strange people and I am so buying a ticket so that I can go next year without sneaking around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home